Celestial Navigation (ASA 107)
Celestial Navigation uses the Sun, Planets, Moon and Stars to determine your Latitude and Longitude.
- Explanation of time zones and how to convert standard and zone time to GMT.
- The how the sextant works measures the arc from body to horizon.
- Index error, dip and altitude correction for Sun, Moon, Stars and Planet.
- Calculate time of meridian passage of the Sun for any given Longitude.
- Calculation of times of Sunrise, Sunset, and Twilight.
- Observers Latitude by Sun noon or twilight Polaris sights.
- Construction of a chart from a blank sheet of paper.
- Construction of a Universal Plotting Sheet.
- Solving the Celestial triangle using H.O. 249 tables.
- Solving the Celestial triangle using S-tables (included in the Nautical Almanac so you do not need the H.O. 249 tables).
- Determining Latitude and Longitude using any of the following celestial bodies - sun, moon, planets and 53 navigational stars.
- Plotting of Celestial L.O.P. on a Universal Plotting Sheet using simultaneous sights or running sight methods.
- Determination of Azimuths and Altitude of navigational bodies at twilight.
- Calculation of Compass Deviation using Celestial bodies.
- Computing Great Circle routes.
- Setting up and using an artificial horizon.
Course runs for 9 consecutive weeks. The course costs include the following items (which will be shipped to you prior to the start of the class):
- Notes and Power Point presentation slides.
- Relevant copies of the following publications - Nautical Almanac (daily pages, increments and S-tables), H.O. 249 (Volume I - Selected Stars and Volume II Lat 000 to 039).
- H.O. 249 forms.
- Universal Plotting Sheets.
- Questions relating to the Lectures and Notes.
- Answers to course questions.
- Rolling Ruler (or Parallel Rules).
- Several pencils and a VERY large eraser.
- You WILL NOT need a sextant unless you wish to practice at home.
Cost for the 9 week course which begins Wednesday, February 13, 2013 is $469.00.
In Denver, these classes are held at our classroom site, Colorado Executive Club Building.
In Calgary the classes will be held at our Calgary office - #235, 5925 - 12th Street SE, Calgary, AB.
To register Store/Navigation Courses